Sunday, March 25, 2012

Braun 1508 shaver battery replacement

This one might gross someone, but I don't give a f--k. If you're offended by imagery of decade-old greasy hairs - of dubious origin - go watch the disney channel.

I don't really use my Braun 1508 shaver that much, I prefer the 3-blade, but sometimes it's a lot of help when trimming the face in a hurry. I've had this shaver for over 10 years, and it's still working nicely for me - but the battery is now long gone. I've just used it plugged to the wall for like 6 years.



Finally, I decided to change the battery. It's just a 1.2V NiMH cell, you can get a new one from literally any grocery store. Here's a guide of how I did it.

First, TAKE OFF THE POWER CORD and keep it that way while working or you'll cease to exist. Then get the screen off and open the two screws on the side.

Open these screws...

After unscrewing them, you have to use some force to get the cover open. There's this white plastic locking mechanism with a spring in it, and that might break. My spring flew somewhere, and I couldn't find it, so in the end I just threw away the white piece of plastic and glued the shawer back together...

The 1580 opened up.

A view of the electronics.


This is the + side of the cell. Remember this. It's important.


...and the negative electrode is connected here.


I took away the cell with some cutters and a bit of force. It's glued in place.

Old cell ripped off the PCB, and the replacement cell.

Then I soldered some wires on the battery. Batteries shouldn't really be soldered on, since the heat will not do them good. But you probably don't have a spot welder at hand. Just use a soldering iron at maximum power and be fast, and it will be fine. The electrical connection doesn't have to be perfect, since it's a low-power circuit.


Wire soldered to the replacement Varta cell - negative electrode.
When soldering don't block the small vents on the positive electrode. They are there to release gas if the cell it overcharged. If they are blocked, the gas will build up and might result in an explosion when charging.

The positive side. Don't block the vents on the cap.

Then solder the wires to the PCB where the original cell was connected. Remember to solder it in the correct polarity, the same way as the original cell.


+ side

The - side.

That's it. Just put the thing back together and the shaver's like new! OK, maybe not brand new, but still, working.

It doesn't really make sense that you need to buy a new shaver when the battery dies. I quess it's partly a safety issue that they don't put a battery slot in the shaver, since it also has mains voltage inside... But mostly it must be the increased shaver sales they get due to dead batteries. So if you have any soldering skills, just fix the thing yourself. You'll prevent generating unnecessary e-waste and save some money from the greedy fingers of Braun.

F--k you Braun, I win.

6 comments:

  1. thanks, Juho-Eric - you saved my tl !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks it really works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have same problem, but Braun 5414. It's worked for me too.
    THX. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people are very lucky to have this blog because it has better knowledge.
    Electric Shaver

    ReplyDelete
  5. How we can repair PCB. Can you provide components details please

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha the same Braun 1508, almost the same problem, thank you

    ReplyDelete